TOP 10 PARTY-PLANNING TIPS-The best entertaining tips that top designers, stylists, and party planne
1. Keep it Easy: "Do it simply, have a good time, and get a recipe or a routine down and keep repeating it. No one is going to remember if you served meatloaf at the last party. And if they do, who cares?"
-Interior designer Joe Nye
2. Start Early: "Have 90 percent of the prep done by the time your guests cross the threshold to your kitchen, she says. Your guests are there to be your guests, and just because they're in the kitchen, they shouldn't be made to work, she says."
-Author and Entertaining Designer Lulu Powers
3. Fun Begets Fun: "If you want to throw a great party, know that nothing rises to a higher level than how the hosts or host family treat one another. If you are arguing or tense, there is no way your guests won't feel that. Don't expect your guests to have a better time than you are having yourself."
-Restauratuer and CEO Danny Meyer
4. Think Outside the Box: It's fun to get a bunch of Polaroid cameras and leave them around for people to take pictures throughout the party. Then I'll string up the photos on a window for a great display.
Wedding and Event Planner Yifat Oren
5. Choose Guests (and Food) Wisely: "It's key to put together a great guest list. And we always have plenty of fresh flowers and serve comfort food everyone enjoys: risotto, lamb chops, mashed potatoes, chocolate."
-Style Director and AERIN Founder Aerin Lauder
6. Don't Forget the Lights: "Good lighting is a must. Not too bright; use dimmers. There's no such thing as too many candles. Votives, pillars, tapers—use them everywhere."
-Party Planner Colin Cowie
7. Seating Arrangements Matter: "I like to use place cards for dinners, and they're great when you have a crowd. To keep conversation lively, seat each guest between someone they know and someone they should know."
-Fashion designer Dennis Basso
8. Be Prepared: "I'm a big believer in keeping cabinets stocked so you never have to scramble. I always have a case of Prosecco in the house, a couple cases of Corona and limes in the fridge, and a selection of olives, nuts, and dried fruits handy. If you keep all those things in the house, you can throw together a really chic and yummy party within 20 minutes. Just add beautiful platters and cutting boards to make for a great, eclectic display."
-Party Planner David Stark
9. Don't Skimp on Dessert: Everyone loves a treat. Make it seasonal, and make it fun.
-Sweets Stylist and Party Planner Amy Atlas
10. And Remember: "Your job as the host is to make people feel comfortable and welcome. If you do that, people will have a great time."
-Interior designer Nathan Turner